[MPlayer-G2-dev] Re: g2 config - restart...

Andriy N. Gritsenko andrej at lucky.net
Wed May 14 10:18:28 CEST 2003

    Hi, Arpi!

Sometime (on Wednesday, May 14 at  0:39) I've received something...
>(pre-note: Andriy please don't offend Albeu, he seems to understand the
>actual problems and solutions better than you...)

    I want to say it in public: Albeu, please, forgive me if I offended
you, I didn't want to offend you a little, I just wanted to have a good
config API, it's all.

>Ok I guess we want to much from the config api.
>Actually wanting _a_ config api is alreayd too much.
>Better separate it to layers, like the rest of teh code
>(stream/demuxer/decoder/filter/ao/vo for example).

[.....]

Whole thing is good. But I have some questions to API implementation.

1. Where application and UI will have all options tree?

2. How application or UI will know about all available types of modules?

3. How application or UI/parser will find all available modules of some
    type?

4. How application or UI/parser will get options of certain module?

5. How open() function will call UI/parser to configure own instance of
    parameters?

6. How UI/parser can change parameters of certain module in runtime?

7. How UI can tell the core to rebuild (insert/delete module instance)
    filter chain?

I think, it all must be in API documentation, and API must allow that.
Any UI maker will ask you the same questions. Gui (or any other UI)
_really_ need all these so we cannot deny it. Don't say, please, we
should wait to G3 - current G2 can do all this. All we have to do - to
create API that will allow that. :)

    With the best wishes.
    Andriy.