[MPlayer-G2-dev] g2 config - restart...

Alban Bedel albeu at free.fr
Wed May 14 09:18:37 CEST 2003

Hi Arpi,

on Wed, 14 May 2003 00:32:22 +0200 you wrote:

> Hi,

To be short I agree completly with everything up to layer 3.

> layer 3
> =======
>
> it will handle high-level parsing, ie reading/writting config files,
> multi-file (config/playtree?) commandline configuration.
> it could be used as a base of both CLI and GUI players, while the CLI
> oen may have input (key/mouse/etc) events joined to some config
> variables, while the gui will have sliders and comboboces for this, but
> the startup(building the config struct chain, filled by the defaults and
> overwritten from configfile) and at exit write it back to configfile.
>
> i still have some doubts and unclear things about details, esp. about
> what level of conftrol we may allow here (it will require the ability to
> laod specified plugings to check their config structs)

Yeah layer 3 is bit more tricky. That is we come to a point where the
app and the lib 'meet each other' so to say. The advantage of such
layer is that various apps could use some common config files for
example. It would also make things a lot easyer for loozy/lazy coders.
On the other hand some will want xml config file, other simple plain
text and so on and so on.
As you clearly defined the taks of the other layers, the layer 3 could
be some kind of sample/default implementation on how to use the config
API. I think that having this part of the G2 lib is needed as a lot of
ppl don't want/need to write their own. But it should be simple for
an app to use its own stuff at this level.
Now imho such sample implementation should be quiet simple so i vote
for a playlist and not a playtree. Most of you would probably second
that ;)

be possible to easely