[MPlayer-G2-dev] Re: G2 CLI/GUI

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Tue May 13 01:40:29 CEST 2003

Hi,

> > >no
> > >but i'm against load-all-modules-at-startup concept
> >
> >     I'm also! :)  But may be anyway we have to scan all available modules
> > at startup (don't load but check) - I don't think if check only by file
> > name is enough.
>
> Not acceptable. This sort of bloated slow startup nonsense is what I
> expect from stuff like mozilla and gimp, not mplayer!

ahree
we don't need to dlopen plugins just to be sure that they are plugins.
if they are in mplayer's plugin directory, called as needed (like
vf_something.so) then we can expect they will work. it's enough to fail with
fatal error when we will opening them at playback.

also we could include version (plugin API version) number in either directory
name or plugin filename, like vf_scale-1.23.so (ala xanim plugins) to avoid
enumerating incompatible plugins.

another (ugly but still better) way of teh quicktime's method: append a
plugin description structure at eth end of DLL, so the plugin loader can
scan the plugin dir and read only these structs, without having to dlopen()
and run the actual plugin to get this info.

and i'm still against unified plugin structs/interfaces, it's just nonsence.
there are well separated layers in g2, keep them so.
we can define a plugin (instead of plugin, call them modules, they don't
really behave as plugins!) desirciption struct common for the whole g2,
and let each layer implement an enumeration function which will fill an
array of such struct.

btw 3, don't separate builtin and external (dlopened) plugins, they are the
same. even in g1, you can compile modules to dynamically loadable .so files
instead of compiling into the libs. ok it doesn't really work, due to the
crossdependency of configparser and the other codes, but if g2's config code
is done well, it could work.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team