[MPlayer-G2-dev] reducing/simplifying codebase

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Tue Jul 22 18:58:57 CEST 2003

Hi,

> gabucino at mplayerhq.hu writes:
>  > D Richard Felker III wrote:
>  > > Agree mostly, but a bit undecided... It sucks for users to have to
>  > > install special libs to compile a working mplayer, especially when
>  > > those libs are considered "risky" by distro maintainers, and thus not
>  > > included in distros.
>  > So they are gonna drop it out of MPlayer too :)
>  > BTW Joe User usually installs libdvd* stuff anyways, just in case.. So we
>  > might actually drop mpdvdkit.
>
> I don't think Joe User does that, but since Joe User is such a
> hypothetical person, let's not speculate any further.

Hey, hey! don't forget where youare, this isn't about G1 at all.
We're talking about mp-g2, a library, which is not used as-is by any user.
And frontends/guis which will include/support mp-g2 still can ship with
mpdvdkit or other dvdcss/dvdread libraries.
And anyway when mp-g2 will replace the current g1 tree, we can re-cosider
re-including libdvdread/dvdcss again. But for now it's an useless ballast now.

> We can also make a compromise here: Remove libmpdvdkit, but add a link
> to it on our download page and try to document it properly, something
> like "Step X: download some extra libs".  We might also build some

First we need to create a g2 homepage...

> all-in-one packages for greater convenience, but this is just a wild
> idea.

sure. with libfaad (something which really needs patching to work) and
others.

>  > > > Also when we port things from g1, we should consider
>  > > > - dropping .raw font support, imho freetype alone is enough.
>  > > Agree totally.
>  > Hold the horses ;) While personally I haven't used RAW fonts for about a year,
>  > the libttf-dependancy I think is a very good reason to keep RAW fonts. And on
>  > top of all the shit, only recent libttf works together with MPlayer...
>
> A new library dependency will not be a problem for G2, it will just
> have an entirely new set of library dependencies, see above.  Besides
> when it will become usable and widely available moderately old libttf
> libs will be enough.

:)

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

--