[MPlayer-G2-dev] reducing/simplifying codebase

Gábor Lénárt lgb at lgb.hu
Sun Jul 20 19:06:19 CEST 2003

On Sun, Jul 20, 2003 at 07:05:50PM +0200, Arpi wrote:
> > Does mplayer support external libdvdcss?  IIRC, it supports "libcss" which
> > doesn't seem to be compatible with latest libdvdcss.  Drop mpdvdkit from
> > G2, just don't forget that the libcss support from G1 is not right.
>
> I dont plan to port libcss support from g1. It's a very very old hack,
> from the pre-libdvdcss times.

Agreed. This was an ugly hack by me, because my brand new DVD drive was not
supported under Linux to play DVDs by other players ... it's simply a hack
to decode file on-the-fly, which also means that it was nothing with IFO
or something, you should mount DVD disk, select a file from video_ts dir,
and mplayer decoded the stream on the fly by libcss but NOTHING more ...

I don't think that it's ("old-style dvd support") used by even one user
nowdays :) It was especially ugly because it needs root right or a setuit
wrapper program to get the physical starting sector of file which is needed
by CSS. Or at least AFAIK, and as far as I remember ;)

> And anyway, dinamically loaded libdvdcss is a feature of the official
> libdvdread, so by using the official libdvdread it's also supported.

- Gábor (larta'H)