[MPlayer-G2-dev] G1 limitations

Joey Parrish joey at nicewarrior.org
Thu Dec 18 19:16:50 CET 2003

Hello,

My thoughts on G1 limitations... Well, the biggest ones to me are the
lack of certain runtime features.  For example, switching
audio/video/subtitle tracks on the fly, or seeking in DVD's by
title/chapter.  Another great thing would be DVD menu support.  I wrote
a hack to switch DVD audio and subtitle at runtime, but was told that
this will never be CVS because G1 can't reinit audio codecs.  Luckily,
none of my DVDs have audio tracks in different codecs.  :)

I also want to design a clean native windows GUI for MPlayer, but
digging through G1's mplayer.c is very overwhelming.  G2 makes this
easier as well.

I would like to change -vo gif89a into an encoder for MEncoder.  It
makes much more sense there.  Why would I want to transcode from one
format to another in MPlayer's vo?  Because I believe MEncoder is too
much of a hassle to add a new container format.  Hopefully G2 will
provide a solution to this too.

I don't think that any of my complaints on G1 are new or have not been
discussed already about G2.  It's just basically a list of everything I
ever tried to do in G1 but couldn't figure out, as well as  everything
I did in G1 but was told "This will never be in CVS, because there's no
right way to do it," or "Wait for G2."  :)

Oh, and one more thing on my G2 wishlist.  Please provide complete
documentation for every API very early on.  (As soon as they are mostly
stable, perhaps.)  It will be extremely encouraging to potential
developers.

--Joey

--
"Living in the complex world of the future is somewhat
like having bees live in your head.  But, there they are."