[MPlayer-G2-dev] mencoder-g2 ?

Bobby Bingham bingham.21 at osu.edu
Thu Aug 7 00:13:51 CEST 2003

On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 11:56:18PM +0200, Fabian Franz wrote:
> In my opinion a cfgfile-format would be nice ...
>
> And then gui could create those cfgfile, whic hcan then be run in the
> background. Of course this cfg-file should be human-readable ...
>
> But I think commandline does get so long and file is an nice solution to
> specify all rules needed for the whole process.
>
> cu
>
> Fabian

that's probably best for complex encodes.  i'd like to also support a
command-line similar to the current mencoder that for single audio/video
stream encodes.

i don't know mplayer's command-line parsing system very well.  is there
a way to have the video encoder specified with it's params as suboptions
like "-ovc lavc:codec=mpeg4:hq:pass=1".  i think that's better than
having to add a new option (-lavcopts, -xvidencopts, etc) for every new
audio/video encoder.

also, can the commandline parser also be used nicely on arbitrary
strings, such as those i'd read from a cfgfile used to define
multi-stream encoding?

i also haven't looked closely at the muxing code from mencoder, but i
seem to recall it sounding like a pain when the mpeg muxer was added
(which doesn't always seem to work for me, but that's another story).
is the current muxer code good/extensible enough?  it might also be nice
to use the libavformat muxers from ffmpeg, which already does both avi
and mpeg muxing AFAIK.

TIA,
Bobby Bingham