[MPlayer-G2-dev] Developing a GTK2 GUI

Fabian Franz FabianFranz at gmx.de
Sun Aug 3 18:43:06 CEST 2003

Am Sonntag, 3. August 2003 18:25 schrieb Arpi:
> Hi,
>
> > > Bloat is not just code size. It's also binary size, data size, and
> > > speed. The bloat here is requiring libglade, libxml, etc. for a movie
> > > player! For goodness sake!! Look how massive and slow mozilla is by
> > > using its horrible gui layout language rather than just coding the gui
> > > native. I'm sure libglade is nowhere near as bad, but the whole thing
> > > is just dumb in principle. Especially if you have to write the code in
> > > C already to build a gui from exported config data. WTF is the point
> > > of writing mplayer config -> xml converter, then using glade to build
> > > the gui? You could just build the gui direct from the config data...
> >
> > Hm, it worked differently last time I saw a program that used glade ...
> >
> > You take xml-Files and glade makes C-Files/Objs out of it ...
> >
> > So no necessary bindings to libglade, libxml or whatever ...
>
> but the main idea here si to build gui in runtime, so loading new (unknown)
> plugins and configuring them via the gui will work too.

yeah :-)

> > Fabian
>
> welcome back. what about the stream/demux metadata/playlist export we
> talked about last time, before you disappeared? :)

:) Had some stuff to do, to get popular on LinuxTag with Knoppix on Mac ...
;-)

ok, back on topic ...

I'm still interested in this development.

However its a hard task to do a specification ...

I would like to have something transparent and extensionable ...

So that for the structure it does not matter if it is a CD, a DVD or a url ...

Hm, but thats not easily possible ...

And that was the point in my thinking where I got stuck ...

Perhaps we could do again a brainstorming based on the previous work ...

cu

Fabian