[MPlayer-G2-dev] Developing a GTK2 GUI

Charles Ezell ardneh2 at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 3 09:49:01 CEST 2003

>Rich,

>I agree libglade could be bloated, however that will not make any
>difference to us since the hard stuff is coded by mplayer team, GUI
>wouldn't make it slower... Also, libglade stays out mplayer, so it is
>transparent to us. If it's bloated inside libglade, it will not make
>mplayer bloated.

To put this to rest:

/usr/lib$ ls -alh libglade-2.0.so.0.0.1
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root         104k Apr 19 01:09
libglade-2.0.so.0.0.1*

libglade is not incredibly bloated.

Also, It does not have any dependencies a normal GTK+ application would not
(with the possible exceptions of xml2 and expat).

Good point about libglade being external, btw.

>I vote for that kind of solution since it makes easier to people come
>and help improving UI, and yes, without knowing C.

Just ask.  Make suggestions.  I am listening and, as soon as I get something
working (that is more than a toy), I will make it available so people can
use it
and provide feedback.

As far as coding, if you (or anyone) are (is) interested in helping out, and
don't know
GUI programming, GTK+ is the easiest toolkit I have ever used.
It is excellently designed and devhelp
(http://www.imendio.com/projects/devhelp/)
provides quick access to the api.
Without that, porting mplayer to GTK2 probably wouldn't have happened.

>Gustavo

-Charles