[MPlayer-G2-dev] bypassing PTS in video filter layer

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Fri Aug 1 22:50:20 CEST 2003

Hi,

> > > any better ideas?
> >
> > IMO it should be much simpler than this. If the frames are being
> > dropped at the codec/demuxer end (because of 0-byte skipped frames in
> > .avi container and such, or nonrecoverable decoding errors or
> > whatever) then the codec/demuxer layer or the wrapper between codec
> > and vf layer should just adjust the relative_pts of the next frame it
> > sends out to account for any dropped frames in between.
>
> > On the other hand, if the frames are being dropped by a filter, it
> > seems to me that the filter should be responsible for pts accounting.
> > This is already the case for filters like inverse telecine that don't
> > actually 'drop' frames, but which have a non-1-to-1 correspondence
> > between input and output frames, so it seems like it'd be ok for other
> > filters (dint, decimate, etc.) which drop frames to do the same.
>
> you're right, as usual :)
> i'll go for this.

I felt there will be some problems you didn't think of...

For a start, there are cases, when only the codec can determine the actual
PTS & duration (be it raw mpeg4 stream, or realvideo, or mpeg1/2),
but frame dropping (soft -framedrop) is enabled. SO, for B frames the codec
will return NULL (no iamge decoding done) so the PTS/duration info lost.

One possible solution would be to make codec optionally handle PTS info.
In this case the codec should take care of PTS calculation for next
non-dropped frame (ie. adjusting its rel_pts).

Another method would be let codecs don't support frame dropping.
(most codecs don't support it anyway, as no B frames or such thing)
This could be flagged by a flag in either codec's global frams (see
codecs.conf) or module_info_t flags. Maybe the former is better, for
things like win32 dlls, where some dll support it some not.
For codecs with no framedroping ability, the vf_vd.c could calculate
the PTS correction, for the rest the codec should take care of.

Both way seems doable, but adds extra compelxity to the already
complicated stuff.

Better ideas?

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

--