[MPlayer-dvb] DVB Playback Issues

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Tue Dec 20 11:37:33 CET 2011

On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 07:44:15PM -0500, Derek Ivey wrote:
> [ac3 @ 0x8accee0]frame CRC mismatch
> [ac3 @ 0x8accee0]get_buffer() failed
> [ac3 @ 0x8accee0]frame sync error
> [ac3 @ 0x8accee0]frame CRC mismatch
> [ac3 @ 0x8accee0]get_buffer() failed
> [ac3 @ 0x8accee0]frame sync error
> [ac3 @ 0x8accee0]frame CRC mismatch
> [ac3 @ 0x8accee0]get_buffer() failed
> [ac3 @ 0x8accee0]frame sync error
> Unknown/missing audio format -> no sound

This large number of failures is the issue, I wonder why they happen,
even with normal playback you have a lot of errors.
I suspect that for some reason at the start you get a huge amount of
pure nonsense from the card.
You might avoid the "no sound" issue by incrementing the value 5 in this
line:
while (x <= 0 && tries++ < 5);
in libmpcodecs/ad_ffmpeg.c
However I suspect that something severely breaks the data in-between
antenna and audio/video decoder and this "no sound" is just a symptom of it.
It might be MPlayer, but in my experience good DVB drivers don't exist
so I am quick to blame them :-)