[MPlayer-dvb] Some trouble with dvb

Gerry ml.nl at gerry.it
Fri Jan 16 20:47:51 CET 2009

I've jus installed a Hauppauge DVB card, i've tied to dump a stream:
mencoder -quiet -ovc copy -oac copy -o "file.ts" dvb://"chan name"

Then i transcoded with:
ffmpeg -i "file.ts" -acodec copy -vcodec copy -f mpeg "file.mpg"

But the result, on rapid moving scenes, is quite blurry:
http://www.gerry.it/serve/frame.png

Did i set some option wrong or it's just DVB that is heavily under an
acceptable bitrate?
Note that the movie is an anime, maybe MPEG2 can't do well with animation?

Two more question:

1 -  ts has no index (no seeking). But maybe it's right for a streamed flow.

2 - I've tried another recording, quite long, about 4 hours.
The transport stream in about 8GB, but the transcodec mpg (just copying
the streams) is about 16GB...
Movie seems good... but why it has doubled the file lenght?
Other test showed no great difference (1.3GB the ts vs 1.6GB the mpg).

mencoder is:
MEncoder dev-SVN-rUNKNOWN-4.1.2 (C) 2000-2006 MPlayer Team
CPU: Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU  230   @ 1.60GHz (Family: 6, Model: 28,
Stepping: 2)
CPUflags: Type: 6 MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 1 SSE2: 1
Compiled with runtime CPU detection.