[Mplayer-dvb] vdr -sub

Dave Chapman dave at dchapman.com
Sun Mar 14 21:38:49 CET 2004

tarass at club-internet.fr wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I try to encode a vdr file with subtitles.
> I've extracted the subtitles in Mpsub format from the vdr file and I try
> to encode them with the -sub option, but the subtitles dont appears in
> the produces avi.
>
> If I try to play mplayer movie.vdr -sub subtitles , the subtitles don't
> appear, but if I play an avi file they do appear.
>
> What specific in vdr files that prevent the display of subtitles in
> MPsub format ?
>
> How to convert a vdr file with the subtitles in MPsub format ?

Hopefully this is the right list to reply to - I think this problem only
relates to recordings made from DVB, and I don't like to cross-post.

The problem that you are running into is probably caused by the fact
that mplayer uses the real PTS values from the recording as the "current
time" in the recording.

For example, if you record something from a DVB broadcast, you could get
  the time starting at "18:52:11" (i.e. 18 hours, 52 minutes, 11
seconds).  But the subtitle file you are using starts the first subtitle
at time zero.

Therefore, the subtitles will never get displayed by mplayer.  The
solution is to change your subtitle file so that it starts at the first
time displayed on the OSD by MPlayer.

When you create an AVI file, the PTS values are probably rewritten to
start from zero, which is why the subtitles then work.

If you use the latest CVS version of dvbtextsubs, then there is a
-keeppts option that writes the original PTS values in the subtitle
file.  This solves the problem.

Regards,

Dave.