[MPlayer-dvb] convert avi to .pes? (.vdr file)

Nico Sabbi nsabbi at tiscali.it
Fri Dec 3 08:29:50 CET 2004

Hermann G. wrote:

>On Thursday 02 December 2004 11:09, Dave Chapman wrote:
>

>>But now that nearly all Linux video tools have native TS support, there
>>is no reason to do any conversion at all during recording - if some
>>playback devices need a different format, then do the conversion during
>>playback.
>>

>mhh, was it not an hardware handicap on the fullfeatured cards, that
>the cannot provide a untouched TS, which leaded to that format?

the card can't provide a full TS (all pids) but it surely can provide
a lower number of pids, that written to disk still form a valid TS

>if mplayer plays back on such a card, which dafaformat is sent to
>the card?

the single audio and video PES streams to each of the device,
this is the reason why vdr uses that format. But if you write to
the dvr0 device the TS file you will have the same effect

>my thinking is: mplayer converts it to a hardware-playable format in
>realtime, so it should (imho) also be possible to write that stream to
>a file, in then read it (with no convertion overhead) back in...
>
>where i am wrong here?
>
>hermann

as above: you can write the TS file to dvr0. BTW, now that I remember,
you can write a vdr file:

mplayer -vo mpegpes:file.vdr file.mpg

Sorry, but I totally forgot it.
    Nico