[Mplayer-dvb] Implementing DVB subtitling

Harri Forsgren hforsgre at mbnet.fi
Fri Apr 2 00:05:21 CEST 2004

Nico wrote:
> Harri Forsgren wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I've been writing a small library for parsing and rendering DVB
>> subtitles. It can be downloaded from
>>
>> http://koti.mbnet.fi/hforsgre/libdvbsub/libdvbsub.tar.gz
>>
>> It would be nice for us finns and others, who don't have to suffer of
>> dubbing and don't understand all languages on earth, to be able to
>> have working DVB subtitling in mplayer. However I have very limited
>> knowledge about mplayer's internals. So I thought if someone else
>> could write/aid on writing the mplayer part of subtitling.
>>
> the demuxer already pushes sub packets to the appropriate fifo
> (demuxer->subs), but it needs some small
> and easy additions: (page index and some other); the main problem is that
> the subs fifo isn't treated like all the others: it's hardwired to the
> dvd subs; this is the reason why showing
> other subs types is a real nightmare/challenge in mplayer.
> In order to show DVB subs it's necessary to clean that code and make the
> fifo usable, IMHO.

So I won't be trying to implement DVB subtitling in mplayer for now.
Instead I will make my dvbsub2png compatible with dvbtextsubs as Dave
Chapman suggested to me.

> can you upload some sample in ftp://www.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/incoming
> and tell us the name(s), please?

There is one example file in libdvbsub/test/subts.mpeg that contains
subtitle TS stream with PID 2027 and page ID 1. I fixed couple of bugs
in library and dvbsub2png so you would like to download new version of
http://koti.mbnet.fi/hforsgre/libdvbsub/libdvbsub.tar.gz