[Mplayer-dvb] NODAEMON / streaming dvb-ts

Dave Chapman dave at dchapman.com
Thu Nov 13 09:38:19 CET 2003

nuko-mail at web.de wrote:
> Hi,
> I added some code to the dvbstream program so that I can switch channels
> while streaming the TS. I receive the stream with a program called dumprtp
> (comes with dvbstream) and pipe it to mplayer. That works fine until I switch
> the channel on the server. MPlayer detects the new pids but stops playing. If
> I restart mplayer I am able to continue watching...
> Does anybody has an idea?

Why are you using dumprtp and a pipe?  mplayer supports rtp streaming
directly, so you can just do

mplayer rtp://224.0.1.2:5004/

I am assuming you are using the "map PIDs" function in dvbstream to
always map the desired audio and video PIDs to constant values.

Finally there is a "marker bit" in the rtp header that (according to RFC
2250) could be using to indicate a channel change:

         M bit:  Set to 1 whenever the timestamp is discontinuous
           (such as might happen when a sender switches from one data
           source to another). This allows the receiver and any
           intervening RTP mixers or translators that are synchronizing
           to the flow to ignore the difference between this timestamp
           and any previous timestamp in their clock phase detectors.

This would be easy to add support for this bit into dvbstream, but I
don't think mplayer supports it.  This would be the way to solve any
playback problems on channel switches.

Dave.