[Mplayer-dvb] problem with mp3 playback

Andreas Lange andreas.lange at chemie.uni-regensburg.de
Wed Jul 17 15:37:51 CEST 2002

Arpi wrote:

>Hi,
>

>>I thing, my Problem is the same like yours. If i play a DivX-video over
>>DVB with "-ao mpegpes" and "-vo mpegpes" the video and audio output
>>of MPlayer works fine. But if i will play the video over my Matroy G400Max
>>(great work A'rpi :-) with "-vo mga" and the audio over the DVB-Card with
>>"-ao mpegpes"
>>the Mplayer hangs at the same Position. Is it possible the DVB needs the
>>Video ( -vo mpegpes) to initialize the Audio-Part of the DVB ?
>>

>yes. -ao mpegpes depends on -vo mpegpes, it's just a hack, the dvb driver is
>interfaced from vo_mpegpes. the main problem is that imho DVB card cannot
>play audio-only files, as its A-V sync waits for video data. at least i
>couldn't get audio-only playback work at all.
>do you know any program which can play audio-only media via the DVB ?
>i know it can receive and decode radio stations, but the data comes from its
>tuner then...
>

>A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team
>
>--
>Developer of MPlayer, the Movie Player for Linux - http://www.MPlayerHQ.hu

Hi,
have you ever tried the opposite combination: using the dvb card only for
video out and directing audio to -ao oss or similar? If I do
mplayer -ao mpegpes -vo mpegpes -dvd 1
it plays normal with next to no cpu usage, but if I use -ao oss
or alsa9 I get video from the dvb and normal sound from the
soundcard, but mplayer uses 100% cpu...
My cpu (1.4 GHz athlon xp) is certainly fast enough and I
don't have problems with my sound driver (alsa 0.9).

Is this behaviour normal/reproducible or should I rtfb?

Andreas