[Mplayer-dvb] DVB vertical resolutions

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Thu Feb 7 14:11:39 CET 2002

Hi,

> > Image size:
> > ~~~~~~~~~~~
> > DVB card allows only 2 vertical resolutions: 288 and 576.
> > If your video height differs, you have to clip it or extend by adding
> > black bands. It's done by mplayer, just specify image size using the
> > -x and -y options. You must use either -y 288 or -y 576.
>
> What does this exactly mean? I was hoping I could have an AVI file
> with a resolution of, say, 720x288 and play it through the DVB card
> and the picture would be expanded by the DVB card to 720x576, but this
-y 288

> is not so. I can have any resolution at all, for example 500x400, and
> mplayer always adds black bands to make it 720x576 (even if I don't
> use the -y option), but the picture itself stays 500x400.
> Could you please clarify?
why?
as written in docs, teh card only supports a few standard resolutions
so if your movie is smaller it will be expanded by black bands added

> Another question: I want to convert VDR files to Divx. Unfortunately,
> my computer is a bit too slow to play the Divx files generated without
> special options. I'm playing around with different options trying to
> get a compromise between replay speed and picture quality. If I tell
> mencoder to rescale the movie down to about 600x480 and fps from 25
640x480 is not ideal for dvb... it cannot replay such resolutions, and if it
extends it to 720x576 then you're back to the original problem

> down to 18 or 20, then my computer can play them without framedrops or
hmm. don't reduce fps, it kill quality.
choose resolution like 720x288 or 576x288.
if you watch it on TV, you won't really notice the vertical quality.
(unless you have highend digital tv)

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

--
"I don't RTFM? Wow. What's the meaning of this? It's new for me."
	-- Martin Baum, a tipical MPlayer user...