[Mplayer-dvb] ac3 player

Borger, P P G (Patrick) borger at lucent.com
Mon Dec 9 09:53:08 CET 2002

HI,

I've looked through some of the archives on this section but couldn't find an answer to my question, so I hope some one can shed some light on the support of AC3 files.

First of all I noticed on this list that the support of AC3 pass through on the DVB card seems to be a bit unclear. For what it's worth, my experience has been that with Mplayer0.90 pre6, I have no issue playing .vob files using the -ac hwac3 option, regardless of the three DVB drivers I have used (april, june or november). However, with Mplayer 0.90pre9 and pre10 this is no longer possible, Mplayer crashes.

Now for my questions, I have a couple of DVDs that I ripped to my harddrive and I can playback using AC3 pass through on my DVB card, which works fine as I mentioned with pre6. What I would like to do however with some music DVDs is rip only the AC3 audio stream in order to save harddisk space. But when I try to play the file with only the AC3 stream MPlayer indicates there's no video stream and exits.
Is there an option to play .vob files without a videostream? (I couldn't find it in the man pages)

There are also some audio files I downloaded in .ac3 format. Could this be played be MPlayer as well over a DVB card?

Thanks!

Patrick
patrickborger at hotmail.com <mailto:patrickborger at hotmail.com>