[Mplayer-dvb] fast transcoding?

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Fri Aug 9 12:35:18 CEST 2002

Hi,

> > mplayer -vo mpegpes ...
>
> We are in the subject transcoding ;-))

yes. and?
mencoder doesn't do transcoding. it does decoding and encoding.

> > huh?
> > do you mean using dvb for mencoder? it has no sense.
>
> Why?
> Not every body has dual K7... it's partially done in AIO, but only with
> one pass divx...

as 98% of the time is spent in encoder, and that 2% (decoding) is much
faster by software than sending data to dvb, wait for that to receive,
decode, grab the picture via v4l (slow as hell), colorspace convert to yv12.

note that DVD sized mpeg2 decoding on my celeron 500 eat about 20% cpu,
it's under 3% on 1.8ghz p4. encoding dvd sized divx/mpeg4 is under realtime
pn the same p4.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team