[Mplayer-dvb] libfame and ffmpeg

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Fri Apr 19 00:57:32 CEST 2002

Hi,

> first of all, I have to say that MPlayer works really great for me and I
> have no
> "real" problems. Watching DivX on my TV is marvelous ...
>
> I've tested libfame now for serveral days, and I must say that quality
> is not as good as that of ffmpeg. Sure it is faster, but it produces
> recktangles in still scenes and that does not look good compared to
> ffmpeg. So I will use ffmpeg and take that high CPU usage for good
> quality.
>
> Any idea how I can stay up to date, but still use ffmpeg as encoder
> for DVB ??

i'm working on converting mpeg1 encoders to video filter plugins, so
all them (ffmpeg, fame and mp1e) will be there, and you can choose runtime
which one you want to use.

anyway quality of fame can eb increased, like i said i nhte announce, by
changing the values in vo_mpegpes.c defines and settings
i recomemnd changing "I" to "IPPPPPPPPPPP" if you have fast enough cpu
it improves quality a lot but needs ~30% more cpu

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team