[Mplayer-dvb] PCR in PES: a/v sync?

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Thu Apr 4 22:42:06 CEST 2002

Hi,

> I hope that someone can reply me.
>
> Does mplayer use the PCR in the PES files? If it does, can you tell me why
PCR ???
it uses PTS, the presentation time stamp, from PES headers.
you know, the time counters running at 90khz clock.

> sometimes I got lip-sync faults? I experienced this with PES made in
> realtime with dvbstream + remux process taken from VDR. I sync the received
nope

> stream on the first I-frame I detect (due to a bug in mplayer that
> sometimes it don't guess the rigth source type), then I send via pipe the
it's a known thing. unfortunatelly it cannot seek in pipes, so the mpeg
format detection code is very simplified when reading from pipes - if it
fails at first it cannot rewind and try again with other format :(

> stream to mplayer. I have the a/v sync problems with and without
> -framedrop. I use -cache 2048. The player runs on a Pentium III 800mhz,
> dga(video) + sdl(audio), Slackware 8.0 + kernel 2.4.16.
>
> I think that the problem is in the clock reference because the video and
> audio drift during the movie: first is audio late, after some minutes is
> the audio earlier than the video!

check teh A: and V: values in status line - they are teh PTS values read
from the stream. if they are equal, and you still get desync, it's teh fault
of the stream.

are you playback video+audio over dvb card or screen ?

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team