[Mplayer-dvb] DIVX - DVB speed--?

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Fri Nov 30 09:49:39 CET 2001

Hi,

> mplayer-dvb at mplayer.dev.hu schrieb am 29.11.01:
> > I have 512 Mbyte Ram and an AMD900...
> > Is my system to slow for playing DIVX over DVB?
> > Audio is totally out of sync...
> > Video abrupt sometimes for a short time...?
> > Divx files resolution 720*576.

your sys is too slow :(
for divx, dvb does even slows down things instead or accelerating :(
now we have to decode divx by software and then encode it to mpeg 1,
and send it to the card to decode... so some overhead.

i had plans to write lower level transcoding, i mean not full divx decoding,
but as divx and other h263-based codecs use unrestricted motion vectors, it
seems to be impossible :(
i've read through SAA decoder chip (used on DVB card) docs, and it can't
handle image buffers bigger than the actual image :(((

btw. don't give up, we'll soon switch to mp1e instead of ffmpeg, it's faster
mpeg1 encoder. the dxr3 driver already uses it and i'll change dvb too.

currently 720x576 is slow even on my 1066 mhz celeron2.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu