AW: [Mplayer-dvb] Divx to PES conversion offline?

J. Mueller iMCA jm.imca at t-online.de
Fri Dec 14 09:44:17 CET 2001

Hi all,

I have the same problem, the sound is like an old tapedeck with some
"headproblems".
But in my case I could investigate, that this seems to be a sync problem.
After starting mplayer with a file I had compressed with mencoder, it starts
with good sound. The delay-counter A-V on the screen starts with an offset
(ca. -0.5s). This offset was decreasing to zero, and in the moment it
reaches sync (offset A-V = 0) the sound gets this "stuttering" and is in a
lower pitch. In my opinion mplayer syncs the audio by skipping some samples
to stay in sync with the video. I think the transcoding mpeg4 -> mpeg2 is in
the moment to slow (also for my p3-1100) so that the audio is slowed down.

If I play the file with audio directed to the soundcard, it is much faster
then the video and after a few seconds miles ahead the video.

I will wait for Arpis new implementation of a different mpeg de/encoder.
This would be a very nice present for christmas ,or ?

PS: What wil we give him on 24. for all his work ? Any ideas ?

Cu
Joerg

On Fri, Dec 14, 2001 at 01:25:16AM +0100, Achim Lange wrote:
[...]
> The resulting grab.mpg replayed with a mplayer-binary with dvb-support
gives
> me the same result as on the fly decoding/encoding to the card.
> The picture looks great, but the sound has, mhh, hard to describe,
> fluttering? alienized appearance?
[...]

As I wrote in another thread, the parameters for outputting the sound
(Better: transcoding from mp3 to pcm) are not correct. The dvb card has
its own ideas about sample rate (48 or 96 kHz) ond format (little/big
endian).

If my conjecture is  not true, please correct it.
--
Frank