[MPlayer-DOCS] Improvement to README for 64 bit essentials

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Wed Oct 22 09:04:09 CEST 2008

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 12:11:52AM +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 10:19:13PM +0200, Wolfgang Knauf wrote:
> >
> > I suggest an improvement to the file "README", section "STEP1:
> > Installing Binary Codecs".
> > Add something like this:
> > "For 64 bit linux: first place the 32 bit essentials in the binary codes
> > directory, then replace the 32 bit libraries with the 64 bit versions
> > from the 64 bit essentials package."
> >
> > This small hint might have prevented a silly noob like me from compiling
> > a 32 bit MPlayer, because a real media file caused a "wrong ELF32_CLASS"
> > error in a 32 bit codec ;-).
>
> I cannot make heads or tails of your explanation.

I think the idea is to explicitly say that there is a 64 bit codec
package and at least for real there is no need to compile a 32 bit
MPlayer (probably the 32 and 64 bit codecs also have the same name which
makes things even more confusing, so it might be worth saying that they
aren't the same despite the same name).