[MPlayer-DOCS] incomprehensibility in encoding guide

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg at gmail.com
Wed Jan 3 23:04:27 CET 2007

Hi,

On 1/3/07, Andrew Savchenko <Bircoph at list.ru> wrote:
> On 3 Jan 2007 23:08 Corey Hickey wrote:
> > > Assuming that the doc is correct (maybe Loren can confirm
> > > this), then yes, I think mbcmp should be dropped.
> >
> > This sounds familiar. Take a look here:
> > http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2003-October/02
> >9913.html
> >
> > As far as I can tell from the code and a couple quick tests, the
> > situation with mbd and mbcmp is still the same: when all other
> > *cmp options are 0 (the default), making mbcmp nonzero will have
> > a beneficial effect on quality regardless of what mbd is set to.
> > When mbd is set to 1 or 2, the specific value of mbcmp is
> > ignored, except to check whether it is nonzero. When mbd is 0,
> > the specific value of mbcmp matters.
>
> So, maybe manpage should be updated to clarify this?

Like this?

An association of men who will not quarrel with one another is a thing
which has never yet existed, from the greatest confederacy of nations
down to a town meeting or a vestry.
 -- Thomas Jefferson
(when interviewed about MPlayer ML flamewars)
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/t/thomasjeff157207.html