[MPlayer-DOCS] incomprehensibility in encoding guide

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg at gmail.com
Wed Jan 3 09:45:45 CET 2007

Hi,

On 1/3/07, Andrew Savchenko <Bircoph at list.ru> wrote:
> Hi, all!
>
> I've mentioned some confusing example into encoding guide, in
> chapter "Encoding with the libavcodec codec family" in the
> "Examples" section:
> *****
> mencoder dvd://1 -ofps 24000/1001 -oac copy -o Harry_Potter_2.avi
> -ovc lavc -lavcopts
> vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=2400:v4mv:mbd=2:trell:cmp=3:subcmp=3:mbcmp=3:autoaspect:vpass=1
> -vf pullup,softskip,crop=720:352:0:62,hqdn3d=2:1:2
> *****
>
> As you can see, mbd=2 and mbcmp=3 are used together, but according
> to the manual:
> *****
> mbcmp=<0-2000>
> Sets the comparison function for the macroblock decision, only
> used if mbd=0.
> *****
> So, mbcmp option seems to be useless into this and the following
> (in the guide) example. Am I right?

Assuming that the doc is correct (maybe Loren can confirm this), then
yes, I think mbcmp should be dropped. mbd=0 + mbcmp=xx yields AFAIR
worse quality than mbd=2

An association of men who will not quarrel with one another is a thing
which has never yet existed, from the greatest confederacy of nations
down to a town meeting or a vestry.
 -- Thomas Jefferson
(when interviewed about MPlayer ML flamewars)
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/t/thomasjeff157207.html