[MPlayer-DOCS] Re: Draft: iPod encoding guide

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Sun Feb 11 04:00:12 CET 2007

Hi

On Sat, Feb 10, 2007 at 09:16:43PM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Wed, Feb 07, 2007 at 10:54:50PM +0100, Guillaume POIRIER wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On 2/7/07, Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> wrote:
> > >Hi

> > >[...]
> > >Xvid)
> > >
> > >do we have to mention 2 random mpeg4 implemenattions here?
> >
> > ;-)

> > >formats:
> > >guide
> > >AAC
> > >not
> > >and then
> > >
> > >this is not true, i do have a ipod and mencoder can with lavf generate
> > >working
> > >.mp4 files, so please remove this nonsense and use mencoder with lavf, if
> > >it
> > >doesnt work send a bugreport and ill fix it
> >
> > Did you save the commandline you used to encode for iPod?
>
> no, but heres a new working one
>
> mencoder somevideo.avi -ovc lavc -oac lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:v4mv:mbd=2:trell:aic=2:cmp=2:subcmp=2:acodec=aac:vglobal=1:aglobal=1:vbitrate=1000:abitrate=128 -vf scale=320:180 -of lavf -lavfopts i_certify_that_my_video_stream_does_not_use_b_frames -info name=menctest -o menctest.mp4
>
> the resolution can be increased upto 320x240, lame and x264 should work too

actually this is wrong, iam repeating what these loonys say witout checking,
sorry, ive checked and
mpeg4 640x360 at 2mb/sec average bitrate works perfectly fine too that is
without any weird special ipod tags at least i dont remember that any where
ever added to lavf, note i didnt try higher resolutions or bitrates
yet ...

file was uploaded to ipod with gtkpod ...

[...]

The educated differ from the uneducated as much as the living from the
dead. -- Aristotle