[MPlayer-DOCS] Re: Draft: iPod encoding guide

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Wed Feb 7 22:50:22 CET 2007

Hi

On Thu, Jan 11, 2007 at 07:22:27PM -0500, Mark Pilgrim wrote:
> Oh hell, I found some stupid copy-and-paste errors.  Just ignore draft
> 1 and let's all start the discussion with draft 2 (attached).
>
> --
> Cheers,
> -Mark

[...]
> +<para>
> +  The iPod 5G supports two video formats: MPEG-4 ASP (such as DivX or Xvid)

do we have to mention 2 random mpeg4 implemenattions here?

> +  and MPEG-4 AVC (commonly called H.264).  It supports two audio formats:
> +  MP3 and AAC.  But it only support one container format: MP4.  This guide
> +  will explain how to create iPod-compatible files with H.264 video and AAC
> +  audio in an MP4 container.  <application>MEncoder</application> can not
> +  create iPod-compatible MP4 files directly, but you can use
> +  <application>MEncoder</application> to create the video and audio, and then
> +  use an external program such as <application>mp4creator</application> to
> +  remux into an MP4 container.</para>

this is not true, i do have a ipod and mencoder can with lavf generate working
.mp4 files, so please remove this nonsense and use mencoder with lavf, if it
doesnt work send a bugreport and ill fix it

[...]
> +<itemizedlist>
> +<listitem><para>
> +  <emphasis role="bold">Maximum bitrate</emphasis>: the iPod 5G supports a
> +  maximum of 768kbps, and it enforces this limit very strictly.  This means
> +  the bitrate can <emphasis>never</emphasis> exceed 768kbps.
> +  <application>MEncoder</application> can enforce this restriction with
> +  <option>-x264encopts vbv_maxrate=768</option>.  The
> +  <option>vbv_maxrate</option> option requires the presence of a
> +  is a good default value.

iam not so sure about these, sadly i didnt encode anything for the ipod lately
but somehow i think i had much higher bitrates working

[...]

There will always be a question for which you do not know the correct awnser.