[MPlayer-DOCS] GPLv2 or later

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Mon Dec 17 20:44:39 CET 2007

A few weeks ago I asked about the two statements on
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/info.html and
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/index.html, the first of which says
mplayer is licensed under GPLv2 and the second GPLv2 or later.

There was a suggestion to more systematically check the sources.  I just
did this, and I found many files where the word "Copyright" does not
appear -- over 700 of them.  List attached.  I excluded DOC/, TOOLS/,
xpm files, and so on.

I also found just a few files that say "GNU GPL v2" without the "or later":
./libvo/vo_zr.c:3: * Copyright (C) Rik Snel 2001,2002, License GNU GPL v2
./libvo/vo_bl.c:13: * Other stuff: Copyright (C) Rik Snel 2002, License GNU GPL v2
./libvo/vo_zr2.c:4: * Copyright (C) Rik Snel 2001-2005, License GNU GPL v2
./cputable.h:3: * This file comes under the GNU GPL, see www.fsf.org for more info!

(There may be more occurrences using other texts, I searched for
"GNU GPL" to find these.)

I hope this helps in eventually resolving the question ...

Thanks,
Karl