[MPlayer-DOCS] [homepage]: r2879 - trunk/src/donations.src.en

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Sat Apr 28 16:31:24 CEST 2007

On Sat, Apr 28, 2007 at 04:16:12PM +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> > So far I haven't seen any area where Emacs 22's UTF-8 support is
> > better than Emacs 21's.
> >
> > And no, Emacs _still_ does not auto-detect the right encoding... :(
>
> Simple test for me: Open all the MPlayer console message files in emacs.
> 21 displays garbage, 22 displays the right characters and puts a 'u' in
> the toolbar to indicate Unicode ...

I see. However this is only a matter of the default/preferred coding
systems. If you setup your emacs-21 to prefer utf-8, it works just as
well. And this setting is needed anyway in order for new files you
create to be saved as utf-8 and not some broken legacy encoding.

Like I said in the earlier email, you also need to set the selection
encoding, filesystem encoding, etc. if you really want your emacs to
work right..

Rich