[MPlayer-DOCS] [RFC] converting documentation to UTF-8

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Sun Oct 29 11:27:11 CET 2006

Hello,
On Sun, Oct 29, 2006 at 01:13:10PM +0300, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
> On 29 ?????????????? 2006 11:54 Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> > On Sun, Oct 29, 2006 at 03:40:42AM +0300, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
> > > There are possible several problems with russian translation:
> > > not all systems support utf-8 well, there are troubles with
> > > some text editors and browsers.
> >
> > Same to you: can you be more specific where the problems are?
>
> Well, there are some of them. Editors wich doesn't support utf8 at
> all in my system: mcedit, vim. Links (my favourite browser) can't
> work with it also.

vim should definitly support it. And links, if even remotely
standards-compilant absolutely must support it.
I think you misunderstood me, because the rest of the post talked about
converting the whole system to UTF-8, but there should be no need for
it.
I am only talking about editing files, creating patches etc. for files
in UTF-8. In theory your system charset should be completely irrelevant
as long as it can display all needed characters.
If it doesn't, I'd find it worth to find out why, because I do see quite
some UTF-8 stuff around, like web pages and subtitles.

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger