[MPlayer-DOCS] [RFC] converting documentation to UTF-8

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Sun Oct 29 11:18:34 CET 2006

Hello,
On Sun, Oct 29, 2006 at 10:58:33AM +0100, Torinthiel wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 29, 2006 at 10:47:06AM +0100, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> > set fileencodings+=utf-8
> > in your vimrc.
>
> First, it doesn't work. 'set fileencodings+=utf-8' doesn't do anything,
> neither does with + instead of +=. Also tried
> autocmd BufNewFile,BufRead *.xml set fileencoding+=utf-8
> This one (or without '='), at least sets fileencoding, but doesn't
> translate file.

Then either vim is not compiled with everything needed or you have
neither $LANG nor encoding set correctly so vim does not know what your
terminal expects.

> Anyway, even if it had worked, this would affect ALL of my files, and
> this is something I definitely don't want.

fileencoding yes, but fileencodings only sets which types vim tries to
auto-detect, and UTF-8 autodetection should be really safe.
try
set fileencodings=utf8
and then
set fileencodings+=
whatever else you tend to use (just fileencodings+=utf-8 probably won't
work if something with no proper autodetection comes before).

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger