[MPlayer-DOCS] [RFC] converting documentation to UTF-8

Andrew Savchenko Bircoph at list.ru
Sun Oct 29 02:40:42 CEST 2006

On 28 Oct 2006 19:14, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> So I've finally taken the plunge and converted my system to
> UTF-8. Apart from getting more spam in legible characters now I
> can look at translations and see the right characters when I
> convert them with iconv.
>
> This makes me think that the moment to convert everything to
> UTF-8 may have come.  Others have been lobbying for it before,
> I'm willing to go along now.
>
> Is there anything that speaks against the conversion?  Will it
> cause problems for translators?  Any volunteers to do it?

There are possible several problems with russian translation: not
all systems support utf-8 well, there are troubles with some text
editors and browsers. Of course, converting using iconv is always
possible, but this will make things less usable and will take
additional time for dealing with documentation, particularly for
me.