[MPlayer-DOCS] Interested in contributing case studies

Mark Pilgrim pilgrim at gmail.com
Thu Oct 26 06:10:53 CEST 2006

On 10/23/06, Guillaume Poirier <gpoirier at mplayerhq.hu> wrote:
> I'm a bit surprised. I'm quite confident that Quicktime supports
> anamorphic videos in some way. If it doesn't support SAR, maybe it
> supports Pixel Aspect Ratio or Display Aspect Ration?

I made a 30-second sample video using my mencoder recipe in draft 3,
but omitting the scale filter.

http://diveintomark.org/tmp/foo.mp4

Here's a screenshot of two video players interpreting the file.  VLC
is on the top, and QuickTime Player on the bottom.  I have QuickTime
7.1.3 installed.

http://diveintomark.org/public/2006/10/quicktime-vs-vlc.jpg

For the benefit of those who don't wish to download the sample movie,
or if the screenshot disappears in the future, VLC is playing the
video at the correct aspect ratio, having scaled it to 854x352.
QuickTime Player is playing it at 720x352, and the QuickTime Player
"movie info" dialog confirms that QuickTime sees nothing wrong with
that.

> The doc here:
> http://developer.apple.com/documentation/QuickTime/Conceptual/
> QT7-1_Update_Guide/Content/2NewFeaturesChangesa.html

I'm sorry, those docs are way over my head.  Is it describing some
QuickTime-specific way of embedding the correct aspect ratio?  If so,
perhaps it would be possible to automate that with MP4Box or some
other tool that can manipulate raw atoms.

> Also, like I said, I don't quite like "too personal" style, so I'd
> prefer smth along the lines of:

I'm happy to make the other stylistic changes after we come to a
consensus on the aspect ratio problem.

--
Cheers,
-Mark