[MPlayer-DOCS] grey vs. gray

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg at gmail.com
Thu Oct 12 21:42:21 CEST 2006

Hi,

On 10/12/06, Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 12, 2006 at 06:38:32PM +0200, mail at kraymer.de wrote:
> >
> > because of a user question in #mplayer IRC I noticed that wording of
> > greyscale options is not consistent. In fact I didn't find lavc's option
> > "gray" since I was using american spelling (thanks to Rathann for hinting
> > to british spelling).
>
> GrAy is American, grEy is British.
>
> > Basically xvid uses "greyscale" while ffmpeg uses "gray". The man page is
> > long enough and users looking for greyscale encoding will probably only
> > find either xvid's or lavc's option. Assuming that american spelling is
> > more popular, it's more likely that lavc will be overlooked.
> > Although ffmpeg sources would have to be changed to make that consistent,
> > I think it really would make sense.
> > Opinions about that?
>
> The change is not difficult to make.  I'd be inclined to go for the
> American spelling, though, as it's more common and American spelling
> makes more sense in a few places.

Though I agree it makes more sense to have the same spelling, you
should keep in mind that it will "needlessly" break all existing
mencoder front-ends.

With DADVSI (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DADVSI), France finally has
a lead on USA on selling out individuals right to corporations!
Vive la France!