[MPlayer-DOCS] Online Russian HTML page, generated from mplayer.1 is broken

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Wed Nov 8 13:51:34 CET 2006

On Wed, Nov 08, 2006 at 12:01:25PM +0600, Vladimir Voroshilov wrote:
> I have found that russian html page, generated by groff from mplayer.1
> and published on MPlayer website have broken encoding. It doesn't have
> any cyrilly characted.
> Here is a line from page source
> <a 
> href="#&eacute;&oacute;&eth;&iuml;&igrave;&oslash;&uacute;&iuml;&divide;&aacute;&icirc;&eacute;&aring;">&eacute;&oacute;&eth;&iuml;&igrave;&oslash;&uacute;&iuml;&divide;&aacute;&icirc;&eacute;&aring;</a><br>
> I'm think, that it was generated using ISO-8859-1 (or similar)
> encoding enstead of koi8-r.

The problem is that (current versions of) groff do not support KOI8-R
input.  We already had a similar problem with the Chinese and Czech man
pages - they are in UTF-8 encoding - that we solved by using groff-utf8,
which accepts UTF-8 input.

One solution would be to convert the Russian manual page to UTF-8.
Generating HTML from that is not a problem, it works for Chinese and
Czech and I just confirmed it's no problem with Russian.

Whether this is a problem for system man pages - I don't know, you'll
have to tell me how it works for you.  A course of action here would be
to run the UTF-8 man page through iconv during the installation
procedure.  This could pave the way for using only UTF-8 for the man
pages as well.

I could also hack up the documentation generation script to convert the
Russian man page from KOI8-R to UTF-8 before generating the HTML.



More information about the MPlayer-DOCS mailing list