[MPlayer-DOCS] [RFC] converting documentation to UTF-8

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Wed Nov 1 18:20:46 CET 2006

On Wed, Nov 01, 2006 at 02:47:31PM +0100, Diego Biurrun wrote:

> > > I just did that. Seems to work perfectly here. Unfortunately I cannot
> > > check with a pure iso-8859-something system..
> > >
> > On my Sarge/latin2:
> > html documentation in UTF-8: works (links2, firefox)
> > manpage in UTF-8: crappy but no big deal, freezes mc when preview.
> > manpage in UTF-8 on rxvt-unicode: works fine
>
> Converting the man page to HTML is problematic.  This may be due to the
> fact that I have an outdated groff version that does not yet properly
> support UTF-8.  It seems that Debian (even unstable) still carries groff
> 1.18.1 while the current version is 1.19.2 ...

I've done a bit more digging and it seems that groff is behind the times
even in current versions :-(

There is a wrapper called groff-utf8 that works around the most glaring
deficiencies and is able to handle UTF-8 input files:

http://www.haible.de/bruno/packages-groff-utf8.html

Right now we have a problem with the Czech and Chinese man page, which
are already in UTF-8 and the converted HTML and text versions on the
homepage are garbage.

I have updated the documentation generation script to use groff-utf8 for
the Czech and Chinese man pages, seems to work fine so far..