[MPlayer-DOCS] DOCS/tech/cvs-howto.txt

Ivo ivop at euronet.nl
Mon Jun 26 21:13:08 CEST 2006

On Saturday 24 June 2006 12:39, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 23, 2006 at 01:54:16PM -0400, The Wanderer wrote:
> > Ivo wrote:
> > >    patch < ../my_changes.patch
> >
> > These should, I believe, be equivalent to 'patch -p0' - but is there
> > any reason not to give that option explicitly?
>
> I'd add the -p0 there, if only to make newbies aware of that patch
> option..

I removed it because I thought it was redundant, but I added it back in
before committing.

> > >7. Commit the patch:
> > >
> > >  If your patch is accepted, double check if your source tree contains
> > > the most recent version of your patch with svn diff! After verifying
> > > that you met these conditions, commit with:
> >
> > This doesn't flow well to me (and I'm not quite sure it's what Diego
> > meant anyway - in my experience, the danger for which it is recommended
> > to check with svn diff is that someone else might have committed a
> > change to the same files, either since you last updated (if you keep a
> > pristine copy which you use for all commits) or in the brief period
> > since you made the checkout (if this is a new tree), and that you might
> > inadvertently overwrite their changes; I invariably make a paranoid
> > last-second check of this nature after having written the commit
> > message, seconds at most before the final commit).
>
> 'svn diff' is there to doublecheck.  I've caught my own mistakes many
> many times this way.  It always happens that you have some leftover hunk
> that doesn't belong in the commit or some cosmetics or whatever in your
> local tree and are inadvertently about to commit it...
>
> Ivo, I'd say commit your stuff, we can make further changes later on.

Did so just now. I agree that step 7 does not flow perfectly well. Maybe
something about svn up before you double check with svn diff prior to
committing should be added too (svn commit will fail though if there hasn't
been done a recent svn up and the revision is too old).

--Ivo