[MPlayer-DOCS] [RFC] converting all files in help/ to UTF-8

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Thu Jul 13 21:46:19 CEST 2006

On Thu, Jul 13, 2006 at 03:13:12PM +0200, Reimar Doeffinger wrote:
> Hello,
> On Thu, Jul 13, 2006 at 10:10:12AM +0200, Guillaume Poirier wrote:
> > Several people who have helped me out to translate the help msg to
> > French weren't computer literates. I would _prefer_ if things could
> > stay like they are. French doesn't requirer UTF-8 as much as Chinese
> > or Turkish. It works out fine with just ISO-8859-15.
>
> Maybe you could find out if their applications have any problems
> opening/editing UTF-8 files? And if so, if there is some alternative
> program they would be ready to use?

They could always use iconv to convert to local codeset, edit, then
convert back to diff/commit. A bit inconvenient tho so hopefully their
editors can natively edit UTF-8. Of course I don't expect the French
to support UTF-8 well since as far as they're concerned French is the
only language in the world anyway. ;)))

Rich