[MPlayer-DOCS] [RFC] converting all files in help/ to UTF-8

Guillaume Poirier gpoirier at mplayerhq.hu
Thu Jul 13 10:10:12 CEST 2006

Hi,

Rich Felker wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 12, 2006 at 08:41:35PM +0200, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>currently MPlayer by default converts the files in help/ to UTF-8 during
>>compilation. So the question is: are there any objections to just
>>convert them to UTF-8 in our tree? e.g. are any of you having problems
>>editing UTF-8 files? Any other comments?
>

> I'm strongly in favor of it, but the standard objection is that the
> current system allows users with legacy systems who are both (a) using
> a legacy encoding, and (b) do not have iconv, to build and use MPlayer
> in an encoding-ignorant way.

Several people who have helped me out to translate the help msg to
French weren't computer literates. I would _prefer_ if things could
stay like they are. French doesn't requirer UTF-8 as much as Chinese
or Turkish. It works out fine with just ISO-8859-15.

I will not flame or kill anyone if all these files were converted to
UTF-8 though.