[MPlayer-DOCS] NOVIRUS Section: 2.3.5.6. NeoMagic

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 09:50:11 CET 2006

Hi,

On 2/2/06, Helio Polis <simplesmoke at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> >From the Documentation:
> "2.3.5.6. NeoMagic
>
> The NeoMagic chip is found in a variety of laptops, some of them are
> equipped with a simple analog TV encoder, some have a more advanced one.
>
> Analog encoder chip: Tested on a Toshiba Tecra 8000. Its TV output chip is
> miserable crap. Avoid if possible.
>
> You must use -vo vesa. The tested chip was capable of 1.333333 aspect ratio
> only, so be sure to use the -x, -y options and/or the -vf scale,crop,expand
> filters if the box doesn't let you enable TV output. Maximum resolution was
> 720*576 at 16bpp.
>
> Known issues: VESA-only, 1.33333 limitation, image isn't always centered,
> movie becomes 4bpp in every 10 minutes, and stays that way. Frequent hard
> freezes, LCD display problems."
>
> Tested on a Tecra8000, TV out worked perfectly using fbdev initiated by the
> following:
>
> mplayer dvd:// -vo fbdev2 -vc ffmpeg2 -ao oss -framedrop -cache 8192
>
> And hitting Fn key+F5 three times to enable TV/out. Two complete movies have
> been viewed (and enjoyed) with image centered (on TV screen not on the
> laptop's LCD), Only remark is that X had to be running on the machine then
> switch to console and start mplayer. If that step isn't done the video is
> too slow/choppy for some unknown reason.
> If this is already known, or posted on the wrong list, then please forgive
> me and discard the post.
> Thanks for your time and efforts.

It's the correct list indeed. Having feedback like this is more than
welcome, but if you want to improve the chances to get the
documentation updated, could you please send a doc patch? The source
of the doc can be found in main/DOCS/xml/en/
You can create a patch with "diff":
diff -u old_file.xml new_file.xml

TIA,
A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice.
    Bill Cosby

MPlayer's doc isn't up-to-date. Visit my updated mirror here:
http://tuxrip.free.fr//MPlayer-DOCS-HTML/en/
http://tuxrip.free.fr//MPlayer-DOCS-HTML/fr/