[MPlayer-DOCS] Softsleep underflow

Guillaume Poirier docmaintainerwannabe at laposte.net
Wed Apr 19 18:17:22 CEST 2006

Hi,
Sebastian Krämer wrote:
> Gilles Pelletier wrote:
>
>> What is a Softsleep underflow? I have tried my usual translators and
>> google: no satisfactory answer for translation.
>

> I don't know what it is exactly, I translated it with "Unterlauf des
> Softsleep", where "Unterlauf" translated into French is "cours
> inférieur" (according to leo.org)..

I'd probably need more context to be certain about what I'm gonna say,
but here it is:
"softsleep" has something to do with the software timer AFAIR.
"underflow" can have different meaning, and in this particular case,
I'm not sure. If you have a byte, and you substract "1" to it several
times, you may reach the critical value "-127", with is the biggest
negative number that can be represented with a byte. If you substract
"1" again, you'll get 128. I think this is called underflow.
You get the same behaviour if you add "1" to a byte, and reach 128: if
you add "1" again, you'll get an overflow, and you'll get "-127".

I hope I didn't confuse you, and that I've not said to many stupid things.
As I don't know how to translate "softsleep underflow", I'd suggest
leaving it as it is, but put some quotes around it maybe....