[MPlayer-DOCS] documenting environment variables

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Tue Nov 29 20:57:00 CET 2005

Hi,

just some time ago I noticed that MPlayer uses a lot of environment
variables, almost none of which are documented.

Here's a list of them, ordered by the place they appear in the code.
The markup is roff-like, it's going to be a man page section after all.
Some appear in multiple places.  For a few of them I even knew what they
do.  I'd appreciate if somebody could fill in the blanks for the others.

Diego

.SH ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES

There are a number of environment variables that can be used to
control MPlayer and MEncoder.

.IP MPLAYER_HOME
Directory where MPlayer looks for user settings.

libaf:

.IP LADSPA_PATH
If LADSPA_PATH is set, it searches for the specified file.
If it is not set, you must supply a fully specified pathname.

vidix:

.IP VIDIX_CRT

osdep:

.IP TERM

libvo:

.IP DISPLAY

.IP FRAMEBUFFER

.IP HOME

libmpdemux:

.IP HOME

.IP HOMEPATH

.IP http_proxy

.IP LOGNAME

.IP USERPROFILE

libmpcodecs:

.IP XANIM_MOD_DIR

libao2:

.IP AO_SUN_DISABLE_SAMPLE_TIMING

.IP AUDIODEV

.IP AUDIOSERVER

.IP DISPLAY

GUI:

.IP CHARSET

.IP DISPLAY

.IP HOME

libmpdvdkit2:

.IP DVDCSS_CACHE
Directory where libdvdcss caches CSS keys.

.IP DVDCSS_METHOD

.IP DVDCSS_RAW_DEVICE

.IP DVDCSS_VERBOSE

.IP DVDREAD_NOKEYS