[MPlayer-DOCS] Mess in mencoder.xml's examples

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Wed Nov 23 01:48:36 CET 2005

On Mon, Nov 21, 2005 at 11:13:13AM +0100, Torinthiel wrote:
> I've found that examples in mencoder.xml (and probably
> encoding-guide.xml as well, but I haven't examined it yet) are in a bit
> of mess. So:
>
> There are two examples of two-pass encoding. One with copying audio and
> one with reencoding it. Can someone tell me why in the first output from
> first pass goes to /dev/null and in the second to output.avi? IMHO it
> should be /dev/null both.

Can anybody with some encoding knowledge answer this?

> And while we're at it should the /dev/null be in <replaceable> tags?

No, /dev/null is not replaceable.

> First example of mpeg output - the input file is named media.avi instead
> of usual input.avi.

Feel free to fix/change.

> Second example of mpeg output (the minimal support one)
> output file is x.mpg, should be output.mpg, and there's an ugly
> line break between -o and name, while the next line is waay longer. It
> goes like this:
>
> mencoder -of mpeg -mpegopts format=mpeg1:tsaf:muxrate=2000 -o \
> x.mpg -oac lavc -ovc lavc \
> -lavcopts acodec=mp2:abitrate=224:vcodec=mpeg1video:vbitrate=1152:keyint=15:mbd=2:aspect=4/3 \
>
> While IMHO it should either be:
>
> mencoder -of mpeg -mpegopts format=mpeg1:tsaf:muxrate=2000 -o x.mpg -oac lavc -ovc lavc \
> -lavcopts acodec=mp2:abitrate=224:vcodec=mpeg1video:vbitrate=1152:keyint=15:mbd=2:aspect=4/3 \

Yes, better.

> the PNG encoding example has only mf:// as source, I doubt it will work.
> mf://*.png is better.

probably

> And there is a mess whether the general layout is
> Which one is preferred?

I generally prefer the first variant as it is the standard Unix command
syntax.  The command line parser does interpret options differently
depending on their position, though.