[MPlayer-DOCS] CVS: main/DOCS/xml/en mencoder.xml,1.64,1.65

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Mon May 16 01:36:53 CEST 2005

On Sun, May 15, 2005 at 06:38:09PM +0200, Guillaume POIRIER wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 5/15/05, Joshua Varner <jlvarner at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 5/15/05, Guillaume POIRIER <poirierg at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Hi,

> > > Before doing another unnecessary wrong correction, here's the full
> > > sentence that I'll commit tonight. Please tell me if it's all right
> > > now:
> > >  The MPEG-2 standard used on DVD and digital TV provides a
> > >  way to both encode the original progressive frames and store in
> > >  the header of each frame the number of fields for which it should
> > >  be shown.
> > >
> > You probably want:
> > and store the number of fields in the header of each frame for which
> > it should be shown.
>
> Seems good to me... the problem is that I'm not even sure of my
> competence to comment on such proposition, as my English is not so
> good, and that all those changes on Rich's original text might pervert
> the original meaning.
>
> Rich, what do you think?

The change is wrong. "for which it should be shown" is connected to
the world "fields", and the meaning changes if you put it after
"header of each frame". If you want you could use:

"and store the number of fields for which each frame should be shown
in its [respective] header"

Personally I like the original wording best but I'm not particular.

Rich