[MPlayer-DOCS] Re: [MPlayer-users] Conversion from avi to mpeg2 summary

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 16:26:40 CEST 2005

Hi,

On 6/27/05, Nico Sabbi <nsabbi at email.it> wrote:
> Guillaume POIRIER wrote:
> >mencoder -of mpeg -ovc lavc -lavcopts \

[...]

>vcodec=mpeg2video:mbd=2:keyint=25:vrc_buf_size=917:vrc_minrate=600:vbitrate=2500

> fine, but as I wrote short ago, don't forget to add vrc_maxrate=2500

I did not have a chance to read it before sending mine. Fixed.

> >-oac lavc -af lavcresample=44100 -srate 44100 -mpegopts format=xsvcd \
> >

> aaaahhh, lavc's audio encoders suck like no one else; you should advice
> to use toolame or twolame instead.

Sure.

> P.S. somewhere in the docs is written that mencoder can't generate mp2.
> Can you correct those docs, please?

I don't quite see where that might be, so if you could be a little bit
more specific about which area of the doc I may correct, that would be
awesome! *g*

Hopefully, the following description will be the one committed:

<qandaentry>
<question><para>
How can I create SVCDs?
</para></question>
<answer><para>
Newer version of MEncoder can directly generate MPEG-2 files that can be
used as a base to create a SVCD and are likely to be played out of the
box on all platforms (for example to share a video from a digital
camcorder with your computer illiterate friends).
<screen>
mencoder -of mpeg -ovc toolame -lavcopts \
vcodec=mpeg2video:mbd=2:keyint=25:vrc_buf_size=917:vrc_minrate=600:vbitrate=2500:vrc_maxrate=2500
\
-oac lavc -af lavcresample=44100 -srate 44100 -mpegopts format=xsvcd \
<replaceable>in.avi</replaceable> -o <replaceable>xsvcd.mpg</replaceable>
</screen>
This will convert the input file <replaceable>in.avi</replaceable> into
the output file <replaceable>xsvcd.mpg</replaceable>.
Please note that in order to make the GOP structure SVCD compliant the
<option>keyint</option> option should be 15 for PAL and 18 for NTSC,
although very often files with much longer GOPs play correctly (25 should
never lead to any problem).
</para><para>
The resulting file <replaceable>xsvcd.mpg</replaceable> is an extended SVCD
(that's why it's called xsvcd), mainly because it doesn't contain scan
offsets, so if you need to generate a SVCD image out of it, you should
pass it to
<ulink url="http://www.gnu.org/software/vcdimager/vcdimager.html">vcdimager</ulink>.
</para></answer>
</qandaentry>