[MPlayer-DOCS] XviD encoding guide

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Sat Jun 25 03:07:12 CEST 2005

Rich Felker wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 23, 2005 at 03:18:07PM +0200, Guillaume POIRIER wrote:
>
>> The Wanderer wrote:
>>
>>> Hmp. Looks like I may have been wrong all this time about what
>>> "vhq" actually means - I took it to be an acronym for "very high
>>> quality", intended to signify that "this option improves quality
>>> per unit filesize", but if the description in the XviD section of
>>> the man page (which I actually hadn't read before) is accurate
>>> then it appears to stand for something like "vertical/horizontal
>>> quantizer", which would be much different.
>>
>> I'm not sure what it could mean other than Very High Quality. One
>> guy
>
> No. Like all the options starting with v, the v stands for video.
> This is because -lavcopts has options for both audio and video.
> Naturally hq stands for high quality.

Hmm. How does it make sense for it to take a parameter, as XviD's
version of the option does? I've gone over the man page's description of
XviD's vhq option again, and this time I think I may understand a little
better what it actually does (unlike the previous time, which produced
my comment quoted above), but something about it still seems weird to
me.

I find it interesting that XviD's vhq description talks about motion
vectors, whereas libavcodec's vhq is one possible setting for mbd, whose
description talks about macroblocks. Do they in fact work differently?

In any case, thank you for the information.

side of it.