[MPlayer-DOCS] Re: CVS: main/DOCS/man/en mplayer.1,1.1019,1.1020

Tobias Diedrich ranma at tdiedrich.de
Mon Jun 20 23:24:07 CEST 2005

Guillaume POIRIER wrote:

> > +.B vrc_init_occupancy=<0.0\-1.0>
> > +initial buffer occupancy, as a fraction of vrc_buf_size (default: 0.9)
>
> I find this description fairly terse.
> You had that on your patch: "rids the first few encoded frames of
> their blockyness", but I somehow can't find a good way to explain why
> you'd like to play with that parameter... For example, why would you
> like to reduce it? I understand fairly well that increasing it always
> helps against the first bad black blocs, but other that that... :-(

I'd agree, that you probably don't want to change it.
The patch "rids the first few encoded frames of their blockyness"
because the old default was 0.
I took the description from the x264enc section, which already had a
'vbv_init' parameter.

How about "This tells the encoder how much data the player will
prefetch into its vbv-buffer, before it starts playing"?

--
Tobias						PGP: http://9ac7e0bc.uguu.de