[MPlayer-DOCS] CVS: main/DOCS/xml/en mencoder.xml,1.79,1.80

Ivo ivop at euronet.nl
Tue Jul 12 03:48:12 CEST 2005

On Tuesday 12 July 2005 00:55, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 11, 2005 at 07:07:13PM +0200, Sebastian Krämer wrote:
> > Hope that clarified a bit.
>
> Not really ;)
>
> My Webster's Encyclopedic Unabridged Dictionary of the English Language
> is inconclusive as well.  And googling around didn't help me clarify
> this at all...
>
> http://www.press.uchicago.edu/Misc/Chicago/cmosfaq/cmosfaq.Commas.html

I see. I think it's an old grammar rule which isn't followed as strictly
nowadays (see the column Sebastion referenced). For what it's worth, I
can't remember learning it at school, but I agree, that doesn't mean
anything. Maybe I did and forgot afterwards. It has been twelve years since
my last English exam :)

Anyway, IMO we should just settle on an MPlayer-documentation-rule, just
like the rule for sentences without a verb, et cetera. ", too." might look
weird to me, but if it's an age-old rule or tradition, I think we should
settle for that. Not that I'm conservative, but concerning language, I
might be a bit :)

--Ivo